Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Phase #1, Choosing a Domain

You have a new company and want a website.  Choosing a domain name and registering it is the first step.  Obviously you cannot choose a domain that someone else owns, but you can choose a similar name.  For example CIT is a big mortgage company, it used to be a reputable name.  I wanted to use the three letters as a play on words to See-IT, where IT stands for Information Technology.  So I chose the name CIT-Services.com . Since I design websites and live in Enfield CT, I might have been better off choosing a name like enfield-website-design.com as that name contains 3 key words that people use to find a website designer in the Enfield CT area.  Of course I still can, in fact I have registered www.hartford-website-design.com and others since I have physical offices in other cities in CT.  In fact there are major advantages to having multiple websites, just don't create mirror websites as that is a violation of the rules Google and the other search engines use to rank websites.  As to what defines a mirror website violation, that is one of the mysteries known only to Google.  Basically if you are going to have 2 or more websites, they need different content.  For example, I own cit-services.info and cit-services.net . At first glance the .info and .net websites might appear to be mirrored, but really they are targeted at the two parts of my business, website design and video recording and production.

1 comment:

  1. Domain is the important part of the every business Your post really helped me to understand this. It has great details and yet it is easy to understand thanks to sharing ..

    How To Rgister a Domain

    ReplyDelete